Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Institution

Here's something I wrote yesterday based on a writing challenge.  I hope you like it.  It's a bit violent but not too graphic.  (I'm still working on the conclusion of Leyla's adventure in East Germany.)



     Attacking a man with a spoon saved my life. 
     He tried to take my pudding during dinner.  Meals here in the institution are generally not worth talking about.  The less said about the pepper steak that night, the better.  But the pudding was usually good.  I guess that’s one thing it’s really hard to mess up.  The pudding is one of the few bright spots of life in the institution. When another resident thought he could sneak my pudding off my tray, I had to set him straight.  The spoon was already in my hand so that’s what I used.  I had one of his eyeballs popped out before the guards pulled me off him.
     I was put into a straitjacket and tossed into the padded cell.  It was supposed to be just for the night.  I didn’t have a watch but I could see the hallway through the small window in the cell door.  The hallway lights dimmed automatically at ten and returned to full brightness at six in the morning.  I saw the lights come on and waited for a guard to appear.  After about 30 minutes I went over to the window and looked out. 
     The hallway was deserted.  Even at this time of the morning there should have been activity.  There should have been guards patrolling the hallway, residents making their way to breakfast, and a doctor or two walking around taking notes.  It was unusually quiet, even for the partially soundproofed padded cell.
     I retreated to a corner of the cell.  My shoulders were getting sore and my hands were getting numb.  I would be in big trouble soon if no one came by to release me from the straitjacket.
     The door suddenly opened.  Another resident stood in the doorway.  We eyed each other for a few seconds before he spoke.
     “Something happened to the guards.  Most of them are gone, the rest are dead.” 
     “Great.  Get me out of this thing.”
     I tried to remember what I could about my rescuer as he undid the buckles and straps.  I think his name was Jeff and he was one of the less violent residents.
     “What about the other residents?” I asked.
     “Just about everyone else is gone.  They broke out when they realized the guards were gone.”
     “Why are you still here, Jeff?”
     “Whatever’s going on isn’t just here at the institution.  All I get on the radio and TV is static.  I figure I’m better off teaming up with someone.  You’re the toughest guy around here so I came to get you.”
     “Okay, partner,” I said as I shrugged off the straitjacket.  “Let’s go.”
     I snapped his neck when he turned away from me.  I work alone. 
     I didn’t know what was happening but it sounded like I was going to have fun.

3 comments:

  1. Great opening line. And I liked the completely rational (to him) explanation for why he had to attack. It's always good to see a crazy character that isn't bizarrely self aware.

    He seemed pretty chill about being locked up with the straight jacket. I found myself wanting to know more about how he passed that time mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, very creepy and foreboding, please tell me there's more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zombies?!?! Sounds like the perfect scenario and character for a Zombie Apocalypse .

    ReplyDelete