Tuesday, July 1, 2014

2014 Mid-year Reading Overanalysis



The year is half over so I've crunched the numbers and analyzed my reading so far for 2014.  As you can see in the chart above, I've read mostly fantasy so far.  Warning: math ahead.





I've finished reading 23 books so far for a total of 7382 pages.  Note that I'm counting A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons as one long book since I read them simultaneously.  As I've stated before, I don't consider books per year a useful metric since book length varies so much.  I prefer pages per year as a better gauge of my reading.



Here is the breakdown by genre and pages read used in the top chart.  With Game of Thrones out of the way I expect I'll be reading more SF and mysteries.




I'm averaging 41 pages a day for reading, which is above the 36 pages per day I averaged last year.  I've read more pages than I did at this point last year because I've been reading more than one book at a time for the last few months.  The pages per day for individual books may be lower but if I'm reading more than one book one a given day all those pages add up.  So assuming a similar pace of reading I should read more books and pages than I did last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment