Saturday, September 5, 2015

Striking a Bargain


All three of the figures in front of me were openly carrying pistols and concealing faces under helmets. I was hopelessly outgunned so my sidearm stayed in its holster but I kept my helmet on. The Emperor had been a far-off figure few actually saw. Anyone dealing with the Empire saw a helmeted trooper at some point so for most people the helmet in its many forms was the face of the Empire.

A few years ago I would have been hunting down pirates like these. It was possible I had hunted at least one of the figures watching as I exited my fighter parked in the barren desert.
The death of the Emperor and the loss of so many ships during what was supposed to be the Empire’s greatest moment had changed everything.
The Empire had spanned the galaxy; it had not collapsed overnight. But without the firm (and to be honest occasionally harsh) hand of the Emperor on top of things ambitious admirals, generals and governors began squabbling. It was not long before self-proclaimed emperors fought each other while others simply carved out their own private territories.
Some like the admiral I was working for were trying to maintain order without succumbing to foolish dreams of glory. We still considered ourselves Imperials even if there was no Emperor.
I had joined the Imperial Navy to escape life on a backwater planet not too different from the one I now found myself on. The Empire had not been a major presence in my life growing up. The planet had been too sparsely populated and remote to have much of a garrison and the Imperial officials left the locals alone unless they were involved with smugglers or the rebellion (the rebels call themselves something else now after their big victory but they will always be rebels to me).
The loose alliance of smugglers, pirates and such that these three represented had been a major thorn in the side of the Imperial forces in this sector. They had helped the rebels because it hurt us. But now the situation was reversed with the rebels being the major power in the sector. The rebels wanted to curtail the activities of their former allies to win support from the local systems.

I was here to negotiate a deal with these pirates and their alliance now that the rebels threatened their business. We all knew this was not going to be a permanent arrangement. In a few years after we dealt with the rebels I might find myself chasing down one of these men in my fighter. But for now we needed these pirates.

No comments:

Post a Comment